Quinoa Greek Salad (Diabetes Recipe)
Posted On April 19, 2013
Serves: 3-4 Calories: Approximately 133 per serving
- • 1 cup quinoa, thoroughly rinsed.
- • 2 cups chicken broth.
- • 1 clove garlic, minced
- • ¼ red onion, finely chopped.
- • 1 yellow squash, coarsely chopped.
- • 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- • 16 Kalamata olives, seeded and chopped.
- • 1 bay leaf.
- • 1t olive oil
- • 2T lemon juice
- • 1t basil
- • 2 oz. feta cheese.
- • Pepper, to taste
- ) In a large pot, bring quinoa, chicken broth and bay leaf to a full boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook according to directions (usually about 15 minutes, until the quinoa grains start to “pop”.
- ) Meanwhile, heat olive oil and sauté garlic, onion, pepper and squash over medium heat, until onions become translucent. Reduce heat to low and add cooked quinoa, stirring frequently until ingredients are mixed.
- ) Gradually stir in olives, lemon juice and basil. Mix thoroughly.
- ) Serve and top with feta cheese and add pepper, to taste. Can be served chilled.
Recipe notes: Quinoa will be extremely bitter if not rinsed prior to cooking, unless the brand of quinoa used has already been pre-rinsed. This will be specified under its instructions. When quinoa is properly cooked, it will “pop” and its germ will create a sort of curly “tail” around the grain. Quinoa has become more readily available in most stores, being found in the same area as rice and other grains. It can also be bought on-line.