Peppercorn Chicken with Lemon Spinach (Phase 1)
Posted On February 16, 2011
Approximately 215 calories per serving.
- 5 ounces chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- dash sea salt
- 1/2 shallot or red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a ziplock bag add mustard, peppercorns, rosemary and salt to taste.
- Shake til mixed, then add chicken.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat; add 1 tsp of chicken broth.
- Add the chicken and cook until golden brown, about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Transfer to a baking dish (set aside the skillet for the sauce); bake the chicken until cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the shallot or onion to the skillet; cook over medium-high heat until just soft.
- Remove the pan from the heat, and scrape up any browned bits.
- Add the broth (reserve 1 TBSP for spinach), bring to a boil and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in any remaining seasoning from the bag and the parsley.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon broth in a deep skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the garlic; cook about 30 seconds.
- Add the spinach, season with salt and cook until wilted; add the lemon zest.
- Slice the chicken and drizzle with the shallot sauce.
- Serve with the spinach.