Nuts… For Better Health & Weight Loss
Nuts are an excellent sources of protein, minerals, healthy fats, vitamin E, folic acid, fiber, and naturally occurring cholesterol-lowering compounds called plant sterols.
All nuts are healthy, but walnuts and almonds have particular benefit:
- Walnuts, a great source of omega-3 essential fatty acids, are heart-protective, promote better cognitive function, and provide anti-inflammatory benefits. Walnuts also contain the antioxidant compound ellagic acid, known to fight cancer and support the immune system.
- Almonds, one of the best nuts for lowering cholesterol, are rich in many nutrients: potassium, manganese, copper, vitamin E, selenium, magnesium, and calcium. One-fourth cup of almonds contains almost as much calcium as a ¼ cup of milk.
While nuts are calorically dense and easy to overeat, they are also a satisfying snack. It has been suggested that people trying to lose weight who eat nuts tend to be more compliant with their diets because the fat and fiber content of nuts makes them very filling.
Several studies over the past several years have shown the health benefits of nuts:
- The Nurses’ Health Study found that women who ate 5 ounces or more of nuts per week reduced their risk of dying from heart disease by 35%. The researchers also noted that the nurses who were nut-eaters tended to weigh less than the nurses who did not eat nuts (BMJ 1998;317:1341-1345).
- In the Iowa Women’s Health Study, women who ate nuts or seeds more than 4 times a week were 40% less likely to die of coronary heart disease than similar women who didn’t eat nuts (N Engl J Med 1996;334: 1156-1162).
- In the Physicians’ Health Study, men who ate nuts at least twice a week had half the rate of sudden cardiac death as men who rarely or never ate nuts (Arch Intern Med 2002;162:1382-1387).
The best way to add nuts to your diet is to eat them instead of other foods, especially ones that contain heart-damaging fat (cakes, cookies, chips, etc.)
The Liquid Amino Diet encourages you to add almonds, walnuts and healthy fats to your diet to assure maximum success and rapid weight loss. For more information contact one of our Certified Health Coaches toll free at 1-800-980-7208 or visit our facebook fan page at www.facebook.com/aminodiet.