Marinara Sauce (Phase 1)
Posted On February 22, 2011
Approximately 29 calories per serving.
- 1 whole tomato
- 3-4 tablespoons water
- dash basil
- dash parsley
- dash onion powder
- dash salt and pepper
- minced garlic
- Blanch tomato in a few cups of boiling water for 1-2 mins.
- Immediately transfer tomato to ice water to cool and discard boiling water.
- Remove skin of tomato and discard skin.
- Preheat small non-stick saucepan over MED-HI heat.
- For chunky sauce, crush tomato with hands in saucepan.
- For smoother sauce, puree tomato in blender then add to pan.
- Add garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper.
- Bring to low boil, then immediately reduce heat to low, cover & simmer for 15 mins, stirring often to keep tomato from sticking.
- Turn heat up to MED.
- Add parsley, more garlic, and basil.
- Cook 5-10 more minutes, stirring constantly.
- While cooking, start adding water 1T at a time until it reaches desired consistency. NOTE: Add any spices that you prefer to this.
- Season to taste.