How Sleep Helps Weight Loss
While on the Amino Diet, Dr. Finsand encourages you to start a habit of getting a good nights rest; 6-8 hours of sleep whenever possible. To help you accomplish that, we have put together a list of tips on helping to make the most of your sleep:
- Try to go to bed and wake at the same time every day. Being consistent reinforces your body’s sleep-wake cycle and helps promote better sleep at night.
- Increase light exposure during the day. This helps to reinforce your sleep-wake cycle. Take breaks outside and try to expose yourself to a lot of sun light each day.
- When it is night, make sure it is dark. Don’t fall asleep watching TV or reading on a back lit device such as an iPad.
- Create an environment that is ideal for sleeping. A cool/dark room, a comfortable bed, a good pillow. All can add to the quality of night sleep you are getting.
- Limit daytime naps. If you do nap during the day, keep it short and refreshing (maybe 30 minutes) in the early afternoon.
- Do something active during the day. Be careful not to do it too close to bedtime as this can sometimes make you too hyper for sleep. Regular physical activity can promote better sleep. So get out and enjoy something active (and get some sunlight while you are at it – see 2nd tip for instructions)!
- Watch what you eat close to bed time. Eating high fat/rich/heavy foods within two hours of bed can not only lead to weight gain, but a horrible night sleep. Keep evening meals light and finish eating 3 hours prior to bed.
- Try eliminating all caffeinated beverages after lunch.
Implementing any one or all of these tips can greatly add to your well rested night. Not getting enough sleep can slow down the weight loss process. Don’t oversleep, but do get enough sleep to promote well being and health. Sweet dreams!
Health coaches are available at 800-980-7208 if you have questions!