Grilled Tomatillo and Pineapple Salsa (Phase 2)
Posted On November 01, 2013
If you are not in a phase you can have pineapple, you can replace it with another fruit like mango.
- 10 large tomatillos, ripe but firm, skins removed and washed
- 1 medium yellow onion
- Olive oil for grilling
- 1/2 cup chopped pineapple
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Large pinch red chili flakes
- 1 canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, plus 1 teaspoon adobo (you could replace this with just the chilis)
- Heat a grill to medium-high. Slice the tomatillos and onion in half across their bellies. Brush the cut sides of the tomatillos and onion lightly with oil and arrange cut-side-down on the grill. Cook the tomatillos for 3 to 5 minutes, until you see clear char marks (make sure they don't start to get soft, though). Turn them over and grill briefly on the other side, about a minute. Remove. Turn the onion after about 10 minutes -- they should have a nice char to them at this point, and the cooked side will have started to soften a little. Cook them for about 5 minutes on the other side and then remove from the grill.
- Once the onion and tomatillos have cooled enough to handle, roughy chop them and add them to a food processor. Add the pineapple, salt, chili flakes and chipotle with adobo. Pulse several times, scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue to pulse until you have a fine salsa.