Grilled Mesquite Chicken (Phase 1)
Posted On February 16, 2011
- For the Marinade
- 1 medium Onion coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon mesquite flavoring (optional)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, chopped (optional)
- juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, about 1-1/2 pounds total
- For the Red Pepper Sauce:
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons ACV
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- TO PREPARE THE MARINADE: Combine the marinade ingredients in a container large enough to accommodate the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the marinade, cover with plastic wrap, and marinate for several hours, or several days, in the refrigerator.
- TO PREPARE THE RED PEPPER SAUCE: Peel the peppers with a potato peeler, cut in half, and discard the seeds.
- Slice the pepper thinly.
- Heat the acv in a sauté pan over medium heat and add the peppers, garlic, and salt, to taste.
- Sauté over medium heat for 15 minutes, then cover the pan and cook until the peppers are soft.
- When cool, put the mixture into a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- If the sauce is too thick, thin it with a little chicken stock or water.
- Set aside.
- TO PREPARE THE CHICKEN: Allow the chicken to remain at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- You can grill over mesquite wood or charcoal or use a stovetop grill.
- Make sure the grill is very hot.
- If using a stovetop grill, oil it lightly before grilling the chicken to prevent sticking.
- Dry the chicken with paper towels and place on the grill until cooked on one side.
- Turn the chicken over and continue grilling until done.
- Alternatively, you can broil the chicken under the broiler.
- Serve with red pepper sauce and a garnish of parsley and lime slices.
- Nutrition Facts per Serving Yield: Yield: Makes 4 servings
- Calories: 342 Fat. Total: 10g Fiber: 1g Carbohydrates, Total: 5g Sodium: 155mg % Cal. from Fat: 26% Cholesterol: 137mg Protein: 55g