Fitness Tips To Help You Start A Workout Program
Whether you are following the ACTIVE plan or moving into phase 2 of the Liquid Amino Diet, it can be overwhelming to start an exercise routine. Here are a few tips to get you in the right path.
- Invest in a good pair of workout shoes. Make sure they have good cushioning and arch support and feel so good you’ll look forward to putting them on. Stay away from high-top shoes because too much ankle support over time can actually make the joints weaker.
- Find a buddy, a class, or a group. Humans desire companionship. When someone is depending on you and striving for the same goals, this helps motivate you. Not only that, it makes exercise more fun.
- Get back to basics. Don’t think you need fancy equipment to get a great workout. Gyms of the future will move away from elaborate exercise machines. Fitness trainers are going back to basic equipment like medicine balls, free weights and Swiss balls. Elaine Magee, MPH, RD
- Start with a 15 min workout. Many people tend to “over-do-it” the first day back to the gym or when starting a new workout program. I suggest starting with a relaxed, fairly short routine and gradually increase the intensity and time as you discover your abilities.
- Fuel your body before and after your workout. Many people start working out with nothing in the stomach. I’m a firm believer that you should fuel yourself before you workout. Oatmeal works great! Be sure to replenish with a good protein source within 45 min of your workout.
Exercise should be a way of life. Find what you love and stick with it!
Health coaches are avaialable at 1-800-980-7208 to answer questions.