Easy Homemade Broth (Phase 1)†Posted on Tuesday, February 22, 2011
Approximately 4 calories per serving (approximately 155 calories if chicken is included)
- chicken (allowed amount)
- dash onion powder
- dash thyme
- dash rosemary
- dash oregano
- dash basil
- 1 bay leaf
- dash salt and pepper
- Fill saucepan 3/4 full with water.
- Bring to boil.
- Add chicken and seasonings.
- Boil for 20 mins.
- Remove boiled chicken & serve or refrigerate and save for later.
- Strain out bay leaf & seasonings.
- Let broth cool to room temperature.
- Skim fat off surface (if any).
- Refrigerate broth.
- Once cold, skim the rest of the fat from the top (if any).
- Store in refrigerator or freeze for later use.
- TIP: You can add veggies such as 3-4 stalks celery and 1 onion for more flavor - just be sure to strain them at the end.
- You can also choose to omit the chicken altogether and just use the celery and onion with the seasonings for a simple veggie broth.
- OR add your steak trimmings that you've inevitably had to trim from your steaks and add to the broth for a beef broth.