Butter vs. Margarine (Phase 2 Only)
When you reach phase 2 of the Liquid Amino Diet you can add in certain foods. One of these foods is butter. Which brings up the question: butter or margarine? We have often been told that margarine is a healthier substitute to butter and while they have the same calorie count and butter is slightly higher in saturated fat, margarine is NOT the better option. Margarine became popular during the “Fat makes you fat” craze- which is the basis for the standard American Diet. Remember that with the Liquid Amino Diet – small amounts of healthy fat are a key to succeeding and improving your health long term. Butter is a healthy fat that increases the absorption of many other nutrients in food but here is some information that you may not have known about margarine:
- Originally developed to fatten turkeys… the turkeys died
- Increased heart disease in women by 53% over eating the same amount of butter (Harvard Medical Study)
- Very high in trans fatty acids
- Triples the risk of coronary heart disease
- Increases bad cholesterol (LDL) and lowers good (HDL) cholesterol
- Increases the risk of cancers
- Decreases immune response
- Decreases insulin response
- Hydrogenated – meaning hydrogen is added which changes the molecular structure of a substance
While this doesn’t mean that you should load up on butter when you reach phase 2, it does mean that using butter in moderation is the better choice than using ANY margarine.
Review your guidebook for a complete list of the foods that you can add in during phase 2 or give the health coaches a call at 1-800-980-7208.