Black Bean and Quinoa Chili (Diabetes Recipe)
Posted On May 17, 2013
Calories: Approx. 340 per serving
- • 2 16-oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained.
- • 1c rinsed and drained quinoa.
- • 2c vegetable broth.
- • 2 yellow squash, chopped.
- • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped.
- • 1 onion, chopped.
- • 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped.
- • 1 stalk of celery, chopped.
- • 2 cloves garlic, chopped.
- • 2 cups salsa.
- • 1T cumin.
- • 1T chili powder.
- • 1t paprika.
- • 1T olive oil
- ) Place quinoa and broth in a medium pot. Cook according to directions. Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes.
- ) Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, take olive oil and sauté garlic, onion and pepper, about 3 minutes.
- ) Add carrots, celery and squash, sauté another 5 minutes.
- ) Stir in black beans, salsa and seasonings. Heat until it is brought to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, about 20 minutes.
- ) Stir in quinoa and mix thoroughly. Cook another 5 minutes.
- ) Serve plain or with shredded cheddar.
Recipe notes: If planning ahead, dried black beans can be cooked according to directions and used for this recipe, even after refrigeration. More or less seasonings can be added, according to taste. If desiring more spice, try adding a pinch or two of crushed red pepper to the recipe.