Almond Salsa Verde (Phase 1 and Diabetes)
- 1/4 cup almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 T fresh oregano leaves
- 1 T capers
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 anchovy fillet (optional for phase 1-you can use some soy sauce in it's place)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
- lemon juice, to taste
- kosher salt + pepper, to taste
- Pound the herbs to a paste using a mortar and pestle or finely chop and smash with the back of your chef’s knife. Transfer the herbs to a small bowl. Next, crush the capers, garlic, and anchovy (smashing them together until they’re cohesive but not a paste) then add them to the herbs. Stir in the olive oil and chopped almonds and season to taste with lemon juice, salt and pepper.
Great as a dip for vegetables or over meat.