6 Tips To Burn Calories & Get In Shape At Your Desk
Attention anyone who works at a desk! These tips can help you feel better throughout your workday, and burn a few calories along the way:
- Take a break! – Getting up and walking around will help circulate blood throughout the body and helps prevent muscles from cramping and spasm.
- Stop Slouching at the Computer – While sitting at your desk your shoulders will naturally start to roll forward, which causes your head to protrude forward (anterior weight bearing). This posture leads to straightening of the cervical spine, which puts tremendous pressure on spinal nerves, leading to headaches, neck pain, carpal tunnel syndrome and upper back pain. Simply stretching the chest and squeezing your back muscles multiple times throughout the day will prevent this.
- Sit on an Exercise Ball – Therapy balls will help to strengthen your core. The core is the area below your chest and above your knees. It consists of 28 muscles that are all activated while sitting on an exercise ball. In fact – sitting on a ball for an 8 hour work day will burn the equivalent amount of calories as running on a treadmill for an hour.
- Shrug Your Shoulders — to release the neck and shoulders: Inhale deeply and shrug your shoulders, lifting them high up toward your ears. Hold. Release and drop. Repeat three times. Shake your head slowly, yes and no.
- Loosen Your Hands – Clench both fists, stretching both hands out in front of you. Make circles in the air, first in one direction, to the count of ten. Then reverse it. Shake out the hands.
- Stand Up and Sit Down – Without using your hands, get out and back into your chair over and over again. This will activate the glutes & the leg muscles. These muscles are the largest muscles in the body and use the most energy (burn the most calories) when used.
Applying a few of these tips will make a huge difference in how you feel. It will help your posture, strengthen your core and even help burn a few more calories. Health coaches are available at 1-800-980-7208 to answer questions.